Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Hallelujah

I have never been much of a music fan so music debates and arguments over the charts always escaped me. This week this years X-factor winner got the Christmas number 1 again covering an old song. I knew this song well as my at times my brother used to play an older version by Jeff Buckley on a near loop. A big campaign started on facebook to get Buckleys version number so I was subjected to many mails and texts to support some dead guys version of the song. Honestly, I just don't get this. Why the hell do people care. So called "real music" fans drive me up the wall. It's like they have no concept that it's personal taste. Why are you so offended so that a big bunch of 15 year olds buy some pop song, they like it and more people like it then whatever indy band happen to be hip. Tough shit. Try worrying about something that matters and stop trying to convince me to care!

I have been making an effort to read a lot more. I used to always read books as a kid. I loved Enid Blyton, 3 investigators etc. Anything with adventure in it but school seemed to have the opposite effect of what it should. I never read during semester and lost my love for reading. It should be the opposite and promoting it to me. Lately I have been trying to address this. My brother gave me some Stephen King books, I also bought catch 22. It just feels like 1 of those books that everyone should read in their lifetime.

I also read the Selfish Gene. It's weird I have never heard of or being exposed to the ideas in the book. There is something inspiring about learning something new, it gives an inner confidence and it just makes you feel better about yourself. I think that it goes a long way to explaining the deception people feel about poker. I remember learning all about pot odds back in the day. I felt like I had eaten the salmon of knowledge and knew something which only the privileged few had access to. The fact that everyone knows pot odds didn't matter to me at the time as it was new to me. I am sure many others have felt that and feel the same when they discover 3 betting and so on. It makes it very easy to think you are better then you are.

On the poker front things are getting better. Last week was steady. I am well back in the zone now. Yesterday I ran like a god and had a huge day. I am close to being out of the hole that I found myself in the first 5 days of the month. This is something that seems to becoming a pattern. I get myself in the hole at the start, stabilise myself and then run like a god in the final few days. Perhaps I should start playing on the 20th...

Finally I watched this 2 or 3 weeks back. It was a documentary on BBC broadcast at the start of 2008 called the power of the planet. There are 5 episodes. This is part 1 of episode 1 and I highly recommend it if you haven't watched it before. The links to all the other parts are there on the right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kjldb9Z5fmA

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

lighten up